Barcelona Introduction to Mathematical Research 2022 Summer Program
to July 29, 2022
This will be the first ‘Barcelona Introduction to Mathematical Research’ Summer Program organized by CRM-UB with professors from UB-UAB-UPC-CRM, which aims to attract students in Mathematics (mainly in their 3rd or 4th year) from any university (in Barcelona or elsewhere).
The program will consist of a research project, four minicourses and other activities.
The students will work on a research project in Mathematics during the month of July 2022.
This will be done under the supervision of a senior Advisor, and will consist of reading one or a few research papers (or book chapters) and/or working on a small open problem.
A committee will assign the students to their senior Advisors based on the preferences of both.
Here you have the list of Advisors and projects.
The students will participate in four courses on Introduction to Research, given by:
- Marta Casanellas (UPC, Algebraic Methods in Phylogenetics)
- Joana Cirici (UB, Topology of Complex Manifolds)
- Javier Gómez Serrano and Xavier Ros Oton (UB, Analysis and PDE)
- Joan Porti (UAB, Geometry)
Each of these courses will be 5h long, and will take place at Facultat de Matemàtiques i Informàtica de la Universitat de Barcelona.
The students will participate in the following activities:
- Round Table: ‘Academic career in mathematical research: what to do and when’.
- Weekly social events: coffee breaks during the minicourses, and a social pizza evening each week of July.
- Online Workshop: ‘Barcelona Introduction to Research 2022’ where the students will present their introduction to research works. It will take place during the second week of September.
The selection of applicants will be done based on:
- Expression of interest.
- Academic transcript.
- Two recommendation letters.
The expected number of students is around 15 participants.
- Click here to access the questionnaire for students to apply for participation. Please, send your CV, motivation letter and academic transcript (PDF) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org (indicating your full name in the subject).
- Click here to access the form for Professors. Please, send the student reference letter (PDF) by email to email@example.com (indicating the student name in the subject).
Application deadline: 15th March 2022.
Resolutions: will be sent by April 1st if the number of applications allows it.
Summer Program: July 1st – July 29th.
Online workshop to present research: second week of September.