These lectures are part of the Intensive Research Programme on Operator Algebras: Dynamics and Interactions
Dates: From March 6 to 24, 2017
Location: Centre de Recerca Matemàtica (room A2)
Each week between March 6 to 24 we will have the pleasure of hosting Karen Strung (Polskiej Akademii Nauk).
The lectures will be open to all and those attending 80% of the sessions will be handled a certificate.
These series of lectures will introduce the basics of C* algebra theory, with minimal background required. The course will attempt to cover the following topics:
- - Quick review of operators on Hilbert space. The algebras B(H) and K(H). Definition of a concrete C*-algebra.
- - Definition of an abstract C*-algebra, some examples. Spectral radius, characters. The Gelfand theorem for C*-algebras, the functional calculus.
- - Positive elements, ideals, approximate units, hereditary subalgebras.
- - Positive linear functionals, representations and the Gelfand-Naimark-Segal (GNS) construction.
- - Brief indication of current active areas of research.
If you have any questions please contact Alba Tomàs (email@example.com)
Back to the IRP Operator Algebras: Dynamics and Interactions web page